Saturday 21 January 2017

The Ordinary Retinoid 2% - Body Review


About The Ordinary
(Just to clarify I have only used this on my body - chest, stomach, feet and hands.)
The Ordinary released with a huge bang in August/September 2016. Instagram went crazy and bloggers bought, bought, bought. After all the umbrella company Deciem were at the root of these super priced skincare essentials.

Talking about prices, I love the theory behind The Ordinary which is how can companies charge such ridicolous prices for skincare staples like Retinoids, Vitamic C etc. This is why Brandon did what he did, released stand alone active serums and creams that do the job with no faff and fuss, and while the ingredients are fancy free and basic, we are still getting what we wanted and products that do the job. Don't get me wrong I do love a lot of the sidekick added extra ingredients formulated with other brands but for those that already have skincare they love and are just looking to add a specific active without breaking the bank then these are for you. They do need a bit of playing around with, and some like the Vitamin C is apparently a weird formula with many saying they dislike it. However you can make these work and for the prices *shrugs* come onnnnnn!

This formula is milky, it's runny too, and has a smell that I cannot describe but it's not over powering at all, in fact it's very faint. I prefer that my skincare smells natural anyway, except some balm cleansers. It sinks in beautifully leaving no traces, no tacky feel, it's just dissapears in.


So I decided to purchase The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% which is described as "A stable emulsion of next-generation forms of retinoid" for £8, yes I kid you not £8 for 30ml Victoria Health The Ordinary Retinoid £8 for 30ml  It visibily targets textural irregularities and signs of age, and the form of retinod is the same as Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Oil £85 for 30ml
 
Who is it for?
I recommend that anybody with skin 28 and up needs to incorporate a retinoid in their skincare routine in the evenings, starting off slowly 2x a week, gently and carefully moving up to every other evening and using an SPF every day in the mornings (after your Vitamin C antioxidant). The SPF is mega important as your skin will be super sensitive to the sun, and no that doesn't mean you'll get a better tan, it actually means that you will damage the new skin cells emerging actually causing more aging rendering the use of retinoid pointless. SPF is proactive in the fight against aging and retinol although if started early enough can be proactive, it's actually reactive. Retinoic Acid literally reverses the signs of aging, literally! the skin cells talk to each other whispering "be younger biatch" It is one of the FDA approved products for aging alongside SPF. Use it. Please. The results are startling.

Skin Reactions
It's possible, in fact it's a rite of passage that if you have any congestion you will purge, this doesnt mean it's broken you out, it just means that the congestion timeline has speeded up. As the skin cells begin to communicate the skin will start to shed faster and any congestion you had invisible under the skin pops up, keep going. It will or it should start to clear up. Another reaction if you are not used to retinoids will be that your skin starts to show signs of peeling, flaking, maybe even a little tight and sore, again...keep going. You can use a buffer if you like to start off with, a hydrating serum after cleansing and toning such as Jordan Samuel Hydrate Serum $29 for 30ml is a super popular choice with beauty bloggers or Ceramide Booster from Roccoco Botanicals or even Hylamide Booster Low Molecular Hyaluronic Acid £15.30 for 30ml or Multi-Molecular Hyaluronic-Complex 15ml for £38 both from Deciem under neath. I have preffered to use mine after application though, I wait around an hour then apply a hydrating serum, or just Sunday Riley Tidal Moisturiser £60 and/or a good oil before bed, when I was using a retinol.

How to use
Retinoids always work better on clean, dry skin. I will usually wait around 20-30 minutes after toning before applying any retinol to allow the skins pH to balance. If you wanted to use a buffer or cant get past the tight flaky stage then apply the buffer straight after toning and wait 20-30 minutes before applying your retinoid of choice. I love to use a realy great moisturiser after my retinol, I wait around an hour to apply it, then maybe even a luxuriuous oil before bed, a favourite is by May Lindstrom The Blue Cocoon £128

However I have used this on my body. I waited 20 minutes after a shower for my skin to settle, no buffer cream. I either applied straight on to my chest, stomach, hands and feet or you can mix it in with a favourite body lotion. Be aware that you cannot be waxed if your using a retinol so be wary on where you apply it.

Results
Within 2 weeks I noticed a huge difference, my stretch marks are just hardly there, my stomach and chest appears to have firmer, healthier skin and my feet and hands look super soft, just younger looking! It was indeed startling. I do apply an SPF every day after my shower on any areas that might be exposed like my arms, ankles if I'm wearing shorter jeans and I now use SPF as a hand cream.


I'm really lookimg forward to incorporating this into my face skincare routine, I'll be careful to remove any acids, and masks that are aimed at drying like clays, or ones aimed at exfoliation like enzyme masks. In fact just using a hydrating one such as Dr Jart Hydrating sheet masks, Aveda Hydrating Mask, Indeed Labs sheet mask, anything like that is perfect. There is a lot of evidence of using acids alongside retinoid acids giving apmplified results, but wait until your skin has gone through the tight stage and as always use a low strength one and start slowly.

What's great about it
Whats great about retinol is it works, clinically proven and tested. Our American sisters and brothers are way ahead of the game than us lot. They pay to see a dermatologist and have super strength Tretinoin prescribed and they use it. In the UK it's usually something only someone with acne can get prescribed from their derm, however I hated my prescribed one, it was far too harsh for my skin, although I know the results are so much better, I also didn't want to give up my other skincare items as presription strength retinol is no joke and as I learnt you cannot use anything other than the most basic of skincare routines alongside it. Over time I will change back to prescribed but for now I'm wanting something more gentle after having spent years on super strength acne medications.

Whats not so great about it
The side effects, the purging, the tightness and flaking, sore skin. But if you go easy and listen to your skin it will be the best thing you ever decided to do. Also there are so many options and brands to choose from. Chose one more suited to your skin type acne and oily maybe go for a true serum like this one, or skinceuticals and of your skin can take oil try the Pestle and Mortar Superstar or Sunday Rileys Luna -although non are priced as consumer friendly as this one. It will be hard to beat on price.



Conclusion
I am so happy with my results of The Ordinary, I have ordered the Hand Chemistry retinol oil for my body It's by the same company (yes, they get everywhere), although its only 1% and it's an oil, I'll give it a go. I am on the hunt for a higher strength body retinol that's not an oil and that comes in a bigger quantity for money.

Now I have used this formula on my body, I have decided it's the one I want to try on my face, I have used prescription strength in the past but I find it far too strong and my skin is sensitive and I don't want to give up my other products just yet. I will also purchase Skinceuticals retinod serum as it's a true serum formula, unlike my Sunday Riley Luna sleeping oil which I'm so unsure about with it's oil base and blue dye.

Visit Victoria Health to view the whole range by The Ordinary, there is something for everyone and I am excited to try some more. The Ordinary Full Range

As always all views are my own. I purchased this serum myself. Always patch test new products and read the labels. 

Thanks for reading

Skincare Secrets X0X0

4 comments:

  1. The Hand Chemistry Retinol has improved my crepe post pregnancy 40 yr old belly. Great idea to use the Ordinary Retinol. I will be trying to give an extra boost. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has it really? That is really good to know! Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I'll look forward to using it now. Xx

      Delete
  2. can we apply it on breasts for skin tightening?

    ReplyDelete