Sunday 6 August 2017

Part 2 - My Acne Skin Journey - needing help!





Part 2
I needed help...real professional help! I realised this isn't my expertise and I don't know everything there is to know about the skincare profession. Actually I knew nothing when it came down to it. 

Unfortunately, I wasn't going to get the answers on Instagram. See most people use what works for them, they know what they like. However  most of us skin obsessed consumers don't know what it's like to treat and help others and how  other people's skin responds. What another  individuals needs are. I even realized many of the brands I was using weren't created by people with any skincare background or knowledge. I was getting the wrong advice from too many of the wrong people.



This was a light bulb moment...I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, but I begin to focus my attention on dermatologist advice, talked to skin therapist and then I came across Dr. Sams Bunting's blog on Acne & Wrinkles. I decided that this would be the route I would go next. I would use the blog as a step by step guide and start over with basics, it really couldn't hurt. I was desperate and not willing to do Accutane ever again.

If you don't know her already Dr. Sam is a highly sought after Cosmetic Dermatologist, she has appeared on TV and has an extremely informative YouTube VLOG and Instagram account, she posts her weekly scolds series and Dr Sam in the City and has an incredible finger waggle. Lets face it, if I had tooth ache I would see a dentist, so why not the same for skin?





As fate would have it, that same week in Early February. I got a message from a woman in Los Angeles. She offered to help me, with no strings attached, genuine she wanted to help me. She had a very simple philosophy and with a few exceptions, she was pretty much on course with I read on Dr.Sam's blog.

Lesley is an Aesthetician from Hollywood who has worked with skin a long time, even for huge brands. She sees her own clients and makes her own skincare in a lab (not a cooking pot in the garden), but in a genuine certified kinda way. She spoke sense, was not pushy, did not bash other brands, wasn't restrictive, most of all her reasons for contacting me was nothing to do with boosting her brand, her motive was purely and simply to help me attain skin health.

In return for her professional assistance she asked for a couple of things, the most important was to do 90 days with consistency 3 skin cycles basically.

HER RULES:
1.) Stash away everything I owned so I wasn't tempted. (Obviously this was a little hard ).

This was major for me, I put everything in a dark place ..............


2.) Use only the products she shipped or recommend I purchase and that's it. (Brutal as I had no idea what I was getting into).


3.) Stay consist for 3 months.
( I'll say this wasn't easy I was tempted to introduce my oils etc, but I powered through it)


 Wait, what? I have to put ALL my skincare away? Surely she didn't just say that!!



I did just that I committed to 3 months, this turned into 6 months! I put away everything I owned, sold off and gave away stuff.  When she shipped a box from Los Angeles to Leeds in a few days, I knew I had to commit. All I needed to do was use them and listen.


Listening was difficult because I had been giving the wrong advice so many times, and spent so much money which only made my skin worse.

I was stubborn, thick headed and finally after weeks of skincare education, explanations, chatting, texting and her holding my hand! I let down my guard and just took the chance.

She became my skin mentor I posted on everyday what I used and when she saw things I shouldn't use she called me on my crap. And gave me a full educated breakdown of why I shouldn't use it, but not in a aggresive manor, she was more amusing, made me laugh.

Lesley at KLUR Aesthetician - reviews
We used whats-app almost every week to discuss the routines and she told me how skin works, why I needed to focus on REPAIR and not treating acne. That the products I would be using anyone could use. They weren't for acne, and it's not about the Acne--that my problem was  inflammation, compromised barrier and skin mis-function. The products she created just make your skin work better and give your skin what it needs, to heal and repair itself.

The routine was so simple, it became addicting and refreshing! Finally not to think of routines at all this required minimal effort. It was liberating  gave me freedom, mental clarity, extra time to spend with my son, and now I could focus on my diet and getting healthy inside.

Most importantly, they worked. Slowly but surely by obsession lessoned, I just used exactly what I was told. Check out these results 5-6 months later.....









click to read Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment